Monday, April 29, 2013

Presentation Design Response

I found the chapter on presentation design, in the book Presentation Zen, very interesting.  I think that the author made many good points in talking about how to use design effectively to hold the audience's attention without overwhelming them.
The first idea, about noise and signal ratio, was a new concept to me.  Making sure that the elements that you use point to your main message and don't emphasize things that are unnecessary.  This seems rather obvious, but I think that we do it more often than we realize.  We should be more aware of all of the elements in our presentations and avoid  using elements that distract from the main point.  Also, the idea about using bullet points sparingly was a good point.  By using long lists of bulleted items, viewers can get pretty bored.  I think that the author is on the right track when he says to try not to use them too often.
The author talks a lot about images.  The choice that someone makes on which images to use in their presentation is very important.  It should help to get the idea across that you are trying to make, without being too distracting or overwhelming.  If you effectively use images, then your presentation will be much more effective overall.
As a future teacher, I want my students to be great at making presentations that are interesting and effective.  I hope that I can help to get rid of the boring presentations full of text and lacking any creativity.  If I use great and effective presentations with my students, then maybe they will eventually be about to do that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment